Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Thu Sep 12, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:07 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Just picked one up off eBay with linkage. What carbs would best for a 170 with this intake. I've got a Carter BBS that's leaking right now, should I rebuild it and order a second BBS off eBay? Or modify the intake for (2) 2bbl Carter BBDs. The BBS seems prime choice to fit my rod style throttle linkage. I've got later plan to turbo it, but for now I'd like to run this intake naturally aspirated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:30 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
You need two exactly matched carburetors for this setup to work well. A worn old carburetor that's had a kit put in it and a "remanufactured" piece of junk off eBay will not get you where you want to go. Best is to find two new (not "remanufactured") or custom(!)-refurbished carburetors. At this late date, that will probably mean two new Holley 1945 carburetors of the same type number (and even a pair of those will be a "watch and wait, then pounce" venture to find. Expect to pay some fairly serious money; I just sold one of these manifolds new-in-box with linkage kit and two precisely-matched carbs for $850, which was almost exactly what I had in it.

It does not matter whether the carbs are set up for rod or cable type throttle linkage; the linkage kit for the twin 1bbl intake will easily operate a pair of cable-style carbs.

I think I would probably stick with the 1bbl configuration. Twin 2bbls would be a lot of carb. Or, alternatively, I might look at (have thought about) mounting a pair of "1bbl" throttle body injection units from a '91-'95 Mopar 2.2 non-turbo engine. There'd be some adaptation and wiring required under the hood, and of course you'd have to have an electric fuel pump and return line, etc., but I think it would probably give very good results if you're up to the challenge of doing some adaptive re-engineering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Haha goddamnit. I'll be listing the intake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:27 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
Don't be discouraged quite yet. Dan is 100% correct, you do need two carbs that match in order to make this work.

But you can obtain that through a quality local carb rebuild shop. Someone who has been building carbs for years and does the job right. Find two identical carbs and let someone rebuild them well. One barrels are not that expensive to rebuild.

Hold on to your manifold and your dreams!

-Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:05 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
That is true. I'll just look at this as a set back. Dan could you give me a little info into effectively fuel injecting my 170. Would the Buick 3.8 batch injection work on the 170? Because I read the article about it working well for 225. Or with the dual carb intake would the 91-95 "1 bbl" TBI be the way to go? Keep in mind I'd like to turbo it, so the TBI might not address fuel needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
I think Chuck is working on an TBI idea. Something in a Ford TBI that fits the 1 bbl pattern.

Fuel distribution should be much better than the old single 1 bbl log. With boost, most of the TBI's should deliver enough fuel, so I doubt it would be a problem. The dual 1bbl intake would run batch, which will deliver better power than sequential in many cases.
I ran a Pontiac with Sequential. When the computer made a performance decision based on engine rpm, manifold pressure and throttle position, it dropped out of sequential and shifted to batch mode. It had the same sensation as secondary's opening up. Went like mad. Batch makes great power.

2¢

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:39 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
So with batch from a Buick would I just grab (2) throttle bodies and wire them together? Or hmmm.. TBI seems like it would be easier for the dual intake. And forgive me but who is chuck?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Chuck is our webmaster. :bow: All hail Chuck! (And send a donation for site maintenance! :D )

I don't think you'll get good results with TBI's of that size. Chuck was looking at some smaller units from a Ford application for use on a 1bbl application. The whole idea was to deal with the lack of decent replacement 1bbls these days.

If you're going to go with boost, you're going to want to go with injection to avoid other issues that come with blow through carbs.

2¢

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:58 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
most of the TBI's should deliver enough fuel, so I doubt it would be a problem.
Ample range of injectors available for the 2.2/2.5 TBI unit (same mini injectors used in '88-'91 3.9, 5.2, and 5.9 engines in Dodge trucks and vans).

Ceej, what makes you say these wouldn't work well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:07 pm 
Site Admin

I was referring to the Buick TBI units. (Early.) They would be too large for the dual 1bbl setup.

Purely seat of the pants enineering. Tear it apart! :lol:

And no implied naughty words mister! :wink:

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:07 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Is there a link to chucks idea? And I'd like to look into your 2.2/2.5 idea Dan. Is there a way I can look the TBI units up? Or junk yard pull two units with their ECM and whatever sensors TBI uses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

I believe I've released a feline prematurely from a flexible enclosure.

He's still working on it. There would be computer and sensors required to make this work. I think the $850 quoted was a heck of a deal. With this build, we're not in Kansas anymore Toto!

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:13 pm 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Are you saying chuck is making an 850 dollar kit? Or 850 dollar parts list. Haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:52 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Is there a way I can look the TBI units up?
Hit a decent wrecking yard and you can look 'em up, down, and sideways.

The conceptually toughest part of this conversion, if you intend to do a whole-system transplant and use Mopar electronics, might be figuring out how to tell the computer the engine's speed. In stock form it looks at the hall-effect sensor in the distributor. There is no such sensor in the slant-6 distributor, though I think one could be added without too awfully much difficulty. If I were going to do this, I'd start with an '88-'91 3.9 V6 (Dodge truck/van) distributor and transfer its guts to a Slant-6 Lean Burn distributor -- both distributors have fixed advance, so you'd be letting the computer control the timing. No idea if the V6 Hall Effect sensor would work properly with the \6. No idea if the 2.5 advance curve would be optimal for a slant-6, but given the similar bore and stroke, it probably would be workably close. Another headscratcher might be getting one computer to drive two injectors in parallel. Strikes me you might run into problems cooking the injector driver in the control computer, which is meant to drive one injector rather than two. But then again, maybe not. A readily-available fast solid-state relay might serve easily to fix that problem. You'd want to use a late-model slant-6 exhaust manifold with the port for the oxygen sensor. Other sensors you'd need would be the MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor, and you'd need to rig up a vehicle speed/distance sensor. That's easy, a NAPA Echlin VSS 232 will thread right in place between the top of your speedo cable and the back of your speedo:

'nother option: Forget the Mopar electronics, just get the hardware (TBI units and a few ancillaries) and use MegaSquirt to drive it along these lines. Matt Cramer (on here) is the guy to talk to about MegaSquirt!

Last edited by SlantSixDan on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:08 pm 

Car Model:
Quote:
Are you saying chuck is making an 850 dollar kit? Or 850 dollar parts list. Haha
He's referring to my $850 manifolds, linkage, and carb sale to another member on here.