Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: scored a \6
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:20 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
hey guys,

I joined a few months ago and have not posted much, however I am in need of a bit of help.

I scored a free \6 from my work. The motor is pretty much a brand new rebuild and was in a heat cart (we used it to keep airplanes warm) However the heat cart is being replaced and I get to keep the motor!

I took the numbers off the motor and could use a bit of help telling me any info about it.

here is what I got: on the front just below the cyl. head:

5K 225 8658 2

0 7

On the side of the block:

330-3 22285

:D thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:33 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
That engine was built on 11 April, 1985. So it'll have hydraulic lifters. What else would you like to know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:47 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks!

is this a good motor to use in a 4x4 truck, or is this an industrial motor? Its a 1bbl carb on it now, but I am still wanting to put a TBI unit on it!

I will be posting more info on it and take some pics of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:58 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
There's no practical difference between an "industrial" and a "truck" motor, with the possible exception of how the bolt-ons are configured (alternator, distributor, starter, manifolding, oil pan, etc.), and those are usually not substantially different until you start getting into really severely non-automotive applications. Can't imagine why this wouldn't be suitable as the basis for your 4x4 buildup. What sort of TBI do you have in mind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:58 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I dont know what TBI to use or whats avalible this will be a long term project. I am going to do some research and learn some stuff before I jump in.
so far the plan is a short box power ram with a \6 4x4 and a 4sp man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:04 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
Unless you are going to be doing some serious off-roading where the truck will be at extreme angles so you want to do the TBI swap to avoid float level issues, I think you would be better off putting your money towards building a 260 motor like Doctor Dodge detailed in his article. TBI won't net you much better performance than a decent condition carb, and building the custom crank 260 will cost about the same as a TBI conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:02 am 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I am not building a tough 4x4 but just a cool power ram on 31's with next to no lift.

I am thinking a 4sp with granny low and thats it. I just want to build it the way the factory would have built it if they went EFI back in 83-84.

Just looking to build something that runs better and has a bit of a cool factor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:50 am 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Take a look in the Fuel Injection sub-forum. There are a few discussions about TBI setups. I don't know about "fully" emulating what Ma Mopar might have done, but you likely could get close enough, at least for your satisfaction.

That 260 buildup sounds pretty cool for a truck. I've read that one a few times, and, while I don't know if I could ever justify doing that much work, it's still a really cool idea. If it was me, and I could sprint the coin though, I'd probably look to see if I could overbore just a bit more... I think if I could just hit 270 cubic inches then I could "justify" finding some 273 emblems for the fenders. That would make for some interesting conversations--"No, really, it's a slant that displaces 273 cubic inches! It was so super rare that I'm not surprised you've never heard of it!" :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:21 pm 
Supercharged

Take alook at the EFI systems Chrysler was putting on the k cars in the 80s. It was a better system than the TBI used on the trucks and vand in the late 80s and esrly 90s before mopar went to true mpfi.

I would love to see pictures of a slant six powered plane heater, if possible. I have heard of slant powered airport tugs, but never a plane heater! I'm not even sure what that is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:53 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I am reading that forum and looking into all my options right now. The maill reason behind the TBI build is simplicity! I want a VERY clean looking \6 under the hood.

I will look into the 260 build as well, that thing sounds cool.

Here is a pic of my motor and the heat cart, I have already removed the engine and its not in my shop sitting on the engine stand.

Let me know what you think!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:36 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model: 1962 Dodge Lancer GT Black/Red
Very nice. The alternator is on the wrong side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:15 am 
Supercharged

Interesting. 60s truck front sump oil pan, 60s truck driver's side alternator mount, but it is a blue motor. I think Chrysler used up their stock of old parts in their commercial slant applications.

How did this unit heat the plane? Circulate coolate through an exchange? Air through an exchange? I've never seen one before and am curious how it works. What is that thing under the carb? Is this a dual fuel gas/propane unit?

Thanks for the pictures!