Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:30 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: rough acceleration
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:54 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Hello all, I'm new to the forum. I'm 19 years old and have had my 65 dart for about 4 years now and I've found this forum to be extremely helpful and gave me plenty of ideas. As of the moment my slant is all stock and soon going to become my daily driver, the engine itself is from a 71 dart and only has about 65k miles on it. It's using the stock carter bbs which for as long as I've owned the car has never been rebuilt. Using just a reman distributor running the cheapy kragen cap rotor and wires with the champion plugs. My question is that during acceleration from around 1500-2300 rpm the car accelerates slightly rough and seems to be a little down on power but after that rpm it becomes smooth, and dependant on how much your into the throttle changes how rough it is. My question is does this seem like a timing issue? Vacuum? Carb issue? Any advice will be helpful, sorry about a long entry I was trying to give as much info as possible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:49 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Welcome on the board! Low-quality parts ("remanufactured" distributor, Champion plugs, no-name cap, rotor and wires) and long-neglected maintenance (carb overdue for rebuild) will tend to cause running problems. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions are in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Keep in mind the engine needs periodic valve adjustment. Get the three books described in this thread as quickly as you can.

Sooner or later you will want to change from points to electronic ignition. I like the HEI upgrade better than putting in the Mopar system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:52 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: 2023 Eichman Digger?
Sounds like your enrichment circuit isn't doing it's job.

I'm not a BBS expert. Something is limiting fuel flow, or the enrichment valve isn't set of moving correctly. Should be a needle that moves up and down dependant on load. It will be held down in the cruise throttle position. The spring moves it up when vacuum goes shallow under acceleration.

Go into the FAQ, Look for Carburetor operation & repair information, then look up the info for your carburetor. :D

CJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:13 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
Thanks the links and the information. I've found a rebuild kit online for the bbs from a place called mikes carbeurators, it seems to be a quality kit all made in the US.
I've also compiled a list of parts from previous reading I've done on here
NGK ZFR5N PLUGS
Cc611x united ignition cap
MO-3000 rotor
Magnecor 8mm wires
Msd blaster 2 coil
And a good valve adjustment following Dan's instructions in the link and hopefully she will run good