Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
To make along story short I have had a 66 dart for more than a few years now. I have been slowing picking up parts and chrome trinkets with the intent on building up the motor and doing a full restoration on it. My parking situation at work is making it difficult to ride my motorcycle, so it's time to get the Dart road worthy. Most of what i need to do is cosmetic, seat covers, carpet, etc.

About the motor itself it's a completely stock 225, as far as I know. No leaks, runs well, but it hasn't seen the open road in a couple of years.

My two main concerns are reliability and MPG's. Reading through here it sounds like i should be collecting the rest of the parts and swapping over to a super six setup for slightly better MPG's. I'd also like to get rid of the points and the resistor, so I was thinking about going with the Pertronix setup and their higher OHM coil. Should I be messing with the dizzy springs? It seems to be a very common thing to do to improve overall performance. Secondly how different is the timing between a super six and a normal 1bbl setup?

The other part I'm debating is having the head gone through. I'm in Tacoma, WA, what shops around here does anyone trust? I believe slantsixdan is around me somewhere, so I'm hoping you can answer this one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:39 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Start with the basics. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download.

What indication do you have that the head needs to be reworked?

Pertronix works, but I (much!) prefer the HEI upgrade, and the source for new electronic distributors, mentioned in the link, is easy driving distance from you (and you should go there and meet Ray and see the place regardless; tell him Dan Stern sent you).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:31 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
I rebuilt the carb over the winter. I have read through the tune-up and the HEI links. I assumed a thorough tune-up was a given.

I saw your link to Old Car Parts Northwest. I figured I would probably be buying something I forgot about from him this summer. I also found the HEI kit (pretty machined heat sink) from Bubba's Hot Rod Shop. What is the exact criteria for bypassing the ballast resistor? Based on what i have put together it is a 3 ohm coil. Is the same 3 ohm coil required for the HEI upgrade?

As for the head, I doubt it has ever been touched. I was planning on checking the valve lash as part of the tune-up. I figured it wouldn't hurt to get some pricing on getting it looked at. My plan, up until recently, has been bore out the cylinders, shave a little of the deck, mild cam, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:07 am 
2 BBL ''SuperSix''

Car Model:
Ray has a great place. It has an interesting swap meet feel to it, and then you realize it is all "new" stuff.

So after a trip up there and raiding my dad's hidden collection, all I need now is the HEI chip itself.