Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:06 pm 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1977 B100 Van
I am looking to refresh all of the vacuum lines on my van. I disconnected and measured all I could, but still have a few potentially dumb questions:

1/ PCV line is cracked and probably leaking.
Should I replace it with the same 5/16" fuel injection hose SlantSixDan recommends for the fuel line mod or another type will do?

2/ Air cleaner, choke pull-off and distributor hoses seems to be 3/16" ID.
The outside diameters are different though, should I care?

3/ Other hoses still have their colored stripes (white, blue and yellow) and given their condition, they probably are the original ones.
I think they all are 3/32", but I wasn't able to disconnect them separately since they merge into one piece that connects into the Vacuum amplifier.
Same problem at the CCEGR valve.
Am I missing something obvious here? How can I replace them?

4/ Carburetor to ECS, any type of hose I should use in particular?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:20 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
I will go out on a limb and say regular vacuum hose will work for all the connections, no need for the special fuel injection line hose since none of these hoses will be carrying fuel. I will also posit that it is the inner diameter of the hose that matters, since that is what is necessary to make a tight connection to the fitting.

As far as the connection to the vacuum amplifier goes, you may be better off trying to find a good condition used assembly. I am not aware of a way to disassemble the connecter hat goes to the hockey puck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:51 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
The PCV hose needs to be oilproof; regular plain rubber hose will swell and degrade quickly. Fuel line hose is fine, too, but no need to get the expensive fuel injection stuff. The correct diameter is 11/32", but that's often hard to find so 3/8" with appropriate hose clamps is an acceptable substitute.

The breather hose (from crankcase breather to air cleaner) needs to be actual breather hose -- oil resistant. Not heater hose.

Everything else: plain vacuum hose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:19 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
No wonder some of the vacuum lines I replace start to get sticky after a few months. Thanks for setting me straight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:50 am 
3 Deuce Weber

Car Model: 1977 B100 Van
Thanks so much, guys :)
Quote:
As far as the connection to the vacuum amplifier goes, you may be better off trying to find a good condition used assembly. I am not aware of a way to disassemble the connecter hat goes to the hockey puck.
So, either I keep the EGR setup the way it is and eventually find one in better shape at the junkyard, or I'll have to bypass the whole thing? :shock: