Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 8:23 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Time for New Shocks
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:03 am 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
The subject of shock absorbers has been discussed here many times, but it seems as if it's always with the idea of ultimate handling. Since my '64 convertible cruiser is far from a performance car, and will never be involved in any type of performance testing, I'm looking for the most comfortable ride possible.

My entire suspension has been rebuilt with stock '73, USA made parts, and the torsion bars have been upgraded to V8 size, so it's time to finish the job. The shocks on the car now are stock replacement, gas filled Monroes, and are about ten years old with 10,000 easy miles. Tires are P185-75R14 Hankooks. The car doesn't bounce when testing, but the ride seems excessively choppy on some less-than-perfect roads.

Any suggestions for new shocks that will give the best ride, but won't jar my fillings? Or, have the bigger tires and heavier suspension created a unsolveable, but normal, condition?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:24 am 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
For best ride, I recommend the Edelbrocks. It sounds like they have been discontinued, but maybe someone else is making this same shock? I found that both the handling and the ride got better on my cars compared to stock or KYB shocks. You get what you pay for. I drive my cars all the time and these are my favorites all around.

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:40 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Since it is a convertible have you considered subframe connectors? The set from uscartool looks especially good and they have a set designed for early a bodies. Once you get rid of the body flex the rest of the suspension can work much better. Plus it will get rid of many squeaks and rattle that make a cruise a little less enjoyable.

Bilstein makes a good quality shock for old chryslers for about $100 a shock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:59 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Edelbrocks are discontinued and even if they weren't I wouldn't buy them again. They ride well but they get noisy.

Bilsteins are amazingly good shocks; if you have the money to spare, get them. If you don't, get KYBs (about $30/shock) and be done with it. If it's a choice between Bilsteins or KYBs + frame connectors, do the latter. I second the vote for uscartool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:03 am 
Contributor

Car Model: 1964 Valiant convertible 225 automatic
Thanks for the suggestions.

If I felt like scraping undercoating, I'd be inclined to install subconnectors, but since I'd also have to tear out all the expensive soundproofing from the floor, and I hate to think about doing that.

I would like to reduce the body flex, though after all the things I've done to it, there are no body noises at all. The only noise is the occasional rattle when the 2-1/4" exhaust pipe hits the torsion bar...another winter project.

Guess I'll be looking at the bank account this winter before I decide which way to go. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:46 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
I would disagree with the suggestion for KYBs, based on your initial post. You said you are looking for the most comfortable ride possible. I found the KYBs i installed on my 68 Dart to be really good handling shocks, but quite stiff, almost harsh.

- Mac

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:56 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Like Mac said, I found KYBs to be a harsh shock, so they paired well with my worn out stock suspension. As soon as the suspension got upgraded, those shocks got traded out. Not entirely happy with the Edelbrocks I have now, so I'll try something else when they wear out.

Post subject: shocks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:45 pm 
1 BBL (New)

Car Model:
I am getting ready to replace the shocks on my '69 Valiant 100, and I have been searching online for about an hour now. I can't seem to figure out which model Bilsteins will fit my car, because every site recommends KYB as soon as I enter make and model. Does anybody have a part number out there?

Post subject: Re: shocks
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:35 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
I am getting ready to replace the shocks on my '69 Valiant 100, and I have been searching online for about an hour now. I can't seem to figure out which model Bilsteins will fit my car, because every site recommends KYB as soon as I enter make and model. Does anybody have a part number out there?
I need to replace mine ('72 Valiant) going for the KYB gas-a-just. Mines a daily driver.
I found these numbers on a quick search on the web 24-184632 and 24-184670 for bilsteins but I'm not sure if those are correct numbers for your '69 Valiant. Good luck and hopefully someone can chime in with the correct #'s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:39 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
If the KYB part number is the same for 69 & 72,the bilstein part number for 72 should be correct for 69..............

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:58 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I ran KYB's for years but didnt know what a really good shock was until I bolted on a set of Bilstiens.Dont get me wrong the KYB's are good for the money but in my opinion very harsh and didnt control the 1inch t-bars that well.The Bilstiens allow my car to ride smoother and corner flatter especially on the less than smooth backroads around here.They make my 60 Val thats set up for handling much more enjoyable to drive.
With that being said,I would definatly add the frame connectors as that in itsself makes the car much more solid feeling and stable especially in a convertible. HyperValiant

1974 Valiant (v8) daughter Kelly's work in progress

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:16 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
If you aren’t into scraping undercoating one solution would be a sub frame connector that spans the floor pan attaching only at cross member, and rear spring box.