Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 2:38 am 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model: 68 dodge dart 270 2dr
I purchased my 68 dart 270 225 1 yr ago-all original looks fantastic and drives really well-only 40,000 miles. this dart sat for 7 years. Sadly there is motor oil laying in the air filter base....enough to wipe up with a rag.
car has new PCV valve-shake test OK
no loss of engine coolant
my original crankcase breather oil filler cap has no breather filament left-any help with locating one that does? (i dont think replacement oil caps today have the filament intact) could this be the super inexpensive fix?!
ive driven this car 2500 miles and it really runs great
has used 1 quart of oil in 850 miles
dart does not run hot or smoke while driven
there is a small oil stain the size of a quarter on the garage floor each morning when i check
i get a little oil seepage under the front of the head
on my first start in the morning there is a black moisture soot carbon-like stain on the garage floor from one of my new duel stainless steel exhaust pipes -Waaaah!
what about a weak/ faulty head gasket? any ball park figures on full gasket replacement cost? what about head gasket sealers?
i drove the car 30 miles last night and did not see any oil deposited in the air cleaner.....totally confused here

Gee i bought this car because of my love for the mighty slant 6- (this is my 6th slant 6 mopar ride....thru 30 years) and now im wildly disappointed. i have plans for light cosmetic body work next week-should i proceed? i even have new 14" rallye wheels centers beauty rims and tires-still in the boxes.
my dart is in my brothers garage now in PA and i need to drive it back to my home in NJ-400 miles....do i dare risk taking off on this trip back?
ive lost all my enthusiasm for this once sweet ride. Bummer

Any feed back is always greatly appreciated
HAPPY HOLIDAY MOTORING

Last edited by suurthing on Sat May 23, 2015 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:11 am 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
That's why I put a catch can between the PCV and intake manifold, to catch that oil. In my case I suspect the rings are not seating, and that's probably the same with yours. You've got low miles so I wouldn't think it would be worn out.

Others with more knowledge will chime in here soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:52 am 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
You do need to have a breather cap that contains filter mesh, but presence/absence of filter mesh isn't going to cause/cure this what you describe.

New PCV valve? Good, but make sure it is the correct PCV valve. Many different ones will fit, and many different ones look alike, but the wrong one, even on an engine in good condition, can result in an air cleaner full of oil. Best available valve is a genuine Chrysler 5175 351AA. Also make sure the rubber grommet is in good condition, not cracked. New grommet, Chrysler 3751 510.

Pull the PCV valve out of the valve cover with the engine idling. Put your finger over the end of the PCV valve that is usually inside the valve cover. You should feel immediate and strong suction. If you don't, find and fix the problem: cracked or clogged PCV hose, clogged PCV port on the carburetor or intake manifold, wrong carburetor-to-intake gasket (or correct gasket installed wrong way round) blocking vacuum to the PCV port.

With the PCV valve still removed and the engine still idling, take off the oil cap. Put one hand firmly over the oil cap chimney at the front of the valve cover, and put a thumb firmly over the PCV valve hole at the rear of the valve cover. Does a lot of pressure build up under your hand?

If you do have strong vacuum at the PCV valve, but you also find a lot of pressure with the hand test, that plus oil in the air cleaner indicates a large amount of blowby. It would not be at all unusual—in fact, it would be practically guaranteed—for an engine with just 40k miles in 47 years to have lots of stuck rings. You might have some success cleaning out the engine with this technique, but if not, you're probably looking at a rebuild.

An air/oil separator would be a get-by band-aid to keep the air filter dry enough to keep working despite the high blowby -- you'd want to check and empty the separator jar back into the crankcase at every fuel stop. The separator ("catch can") would need to go in the hose that runs from the oil cap to the air cleaner, not in the hose that runs from the PCV valve to the carburetor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:40 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model:
Would this be the PCV valve to look for ?

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct= ... 1572,d.dGY

It appears to be made of plastic .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:01 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yes, and yes. See here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:30 pm 
4 BBL ''Hyper-Pak''

Car Model:
Sadly with that much blowby. Your car isn't worth any time or effort .
I'll come haul it away for You for only $20.00, Please have the title signed & notarized.