Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Oct 01, 2024 11:24 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: gas gauge sending units
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:27 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 80 volare, 78 fury 2 dr, 85 D150
has anyone here used the new aftermarket/ reproduction ones that can be had now a days?
My son has bought 2 in recent years... both stainless and very nice looking, but both show "E" with 1/2 a tank still left. I have been driving his 80 D150 and could "watch the gauge needle drop" as my Dad and his generation used to say..... but in actuality for where the gauge reads, it takes much less to fill than would be expected..... I stopped and topped off the kid's truck (1st time I have taken it to work, 70 mile round trip)
I left home with "3/4 tank" indicated/ went 35 miles to work and was down to "1/2 tank" and between 1/2 and 1/4, 8 miles from work,,, filled up, and did all I could do to squeeze 6-1/4 gallons into it..... and when I left it said "Full". took 6-1/4 gallons to fill an 18 gallon tank, gauge showed about 3/8 tank "left", at this point. going by gauge I would have expected to have to put 2x that much gas in....
His Ramcharger is same way. only its tank is 36 gallons. same brand of sending unit. he was down to "gauge don't move from Empty" thinking he wa son fumes when it only takes 18 gallons to fill, if filled "as soon as" it pegs "E".
is there a better source for more accurate sending units, since it would be near impossible to find NOS ones? Id rather have them fit like original, like these ones he bought, do.
I know the one for the 80 Pickup came from Van's LLC. the Ramcharger one came from Ebay, don't remember the seller.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:55 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Read this and this.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:49 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
I had posted on this a while back.. same time a rich did.

I have a (probably ) aftermarket replacement sender in the 64 Dart.. when I got the car the fuel gauge did not work at all, even with the new sender.

I replaced the bad gauges and 5v regulator in the gauge with a solid state one from RTE.
so with the new regulator and aftermarket sender the gauge never reads correct 'cept when totally full.

I bought the metermatch from the article dan mentioned.
I will report back after i calibrate and get it installed.

I figured that was easier than finding proper resistance wire and reerapping the wiper in the sending unit.

Greg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:40 am 
Supercharged

Car Model: 76 D100
This thread should be added to the FAQ post/stickies of the Electronics section of the board. This is great info.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:57 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Got My Meter Match.

Ordered Saturday AM - Arrived Monday PM.. Fast From Washington to PA.

Techoversions seems to have their stuff together.. Run By a former Engineer with all the proper stuff to do it correctly.

Box comes with thorough and Skookum instrucciones on how to setup install and calibrate the box.
4 wires is all that's needed and you can hide the thing practically anywhere such as under the dash or in a kick panel.

I need to Supply a Power +12V and Ground as well as break the connection from the fuel sender to the gauge.

Me thinks that I can probably tap into or break the gauge sender wire at the Drivers' door Taillight Harness plug.. Will check for sure soon.

I plan on setting the meter at first by moving the sender arm all the way up for F, and All the way Down for E and see what happens.

If I can get it installed before the Carlisle Trip that would be super!

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:53 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Here is the Meter Match From Techno Versions.

Image20200705_200333 by Hyperpack, on Flickr

Image20200705_200339 by Hyperpack, on Flickr

As you can see the thing is small. and once I located the correct fuel sender wire from the Body wiring plug to the dash wiring plug in the LH Kick Panel, I wired the box to ground and 12V+ as well as breaking the sender wire so there is a gauge lead to meter match as well as a sender lead to meter match. 4 wires total.

The whole install took less than an hour.
I pulled the sender.. Nice that a bodies don't require a Dropping of the tank like a truck or F body would.

I put the sender to Full high (full of gas in tank) moved the gauge with meter match to where I want "F" to be on the fuel gauge saved that set point.... and then moved the sender to full low (No gas in tank).. moved the fuel gauge to "E" with meter match and saved that set point.

Tidy'd up the wiring behind the kick panel, and Put everything else back together.

I also Found a Plastic fuel float in the sender that was partially filled with fuel as well... that was also part of my problem, and I got that remedied as well with a new fuel float.

So I am ready to see how the gauge behaves on s 3+ hour trip to Carlisle at the end of the week!

Greg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:29 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model: 64 Plymouth Valiant
I believe you can add some calibration between E and F with that black box..................

And there's 2 warning lights you can setup too. (1 high side, and 1 low side)

8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:58 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Yep all that fancy stuff is available in there too.

Greg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:04 am 
Supercharged

Car Model:
Meter Match Does make it work correctly.

I verified the "F" indication on the gauge by filling the tank until I saw fuel in the fill tube, Gauge in Car Shows the Tank Full as well with the Gauge Pegged on "F" as My other cars with Stock gauge / regulator / sender do.. 78/79 Aspens.. 77 Truck / Ramcharger, 69 Dart and 73 Barracuda All have the stock parts and behave normally.

Taking tit to Carlisle this weekend so We'll see how it responds while driving 3 or more hours.

I have a Spectra Premium Sender in my 79 Volare and that thing never responded like the old stock one did, So I might just get a meter match for it too! Such a nice easy to use product for a reasonable price!

Thank god for TechnoVersions!

Greg