Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sat Oct 05, 2024 3:31 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Gas cap for ethenol
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:32 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I know it's ignorant to ask a question about a truck here but I can't find a gas cap. Seems simple. But it ain't.

I bought a new one about 2 months ago and it worked great. I could't beielve the difference.

Now, every time I go around a curve or park it with the nozzle down-hill the gas runs out. I can't get out of the truck not smelling like gas. (gas filler is right behind the door). Just like the old cap from the 60s or 70s.

I looked at the brand new gas cap and the rubber seal is all cracked.

Is is possible to get a gas cap that seals and keeps sealing? Parts store is dumbfounded.

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:03 pm 
EFI Slant 6

Car Model: 1964 Valiant V200
short answer is no. The quality on them just sucks. My sweptline gas cap leaks too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:23 pm 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Thanks for the answer. I guess I'll try to think of something to do with it. New ones are only about $10 but I'll be buying them forever or have gas splattered down the side of the truck.

The locking cap has a weird shaped rubber. I ordered a regular one that may have just a rubber washer. I wonder if it's possible to buy gasoline proof rubber in any shape and make a washer...?

Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:25 pm 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Make the gasket out of cork gasket material. You can buy it in sheets and cut it yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:20 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
Make the gasket out of cork gasket material. You can buy it in sheets and cut it yourself.
I ran across this idea somewhere else with the google search but thought it might be wrong. For some reason it doesn't sink into my thick skull how cork would last longer than rubber. I think of cork and I just picture it flaking and falling apart.

Is this a tried and true idea? Is the cork anything special? Impregnated with anything? Just regular old cork? I'm sure I can find it on the internet but is this something that most autoparts stores keep in stock?

Thanks,
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:49 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
I bought an assortment pack of gasket material at my local parts place a while back. The right sheet of cork material should work great. Cork is an organic material and as far as I know is not bothered by ethanol. I might also use a gas proof sealant to glue the cork to the cap. Something like Seal All, which has actually plugged a wet fuel leak for me as a temp fix.
http://www.epiindustrial.com/Seal-All%C ... t_Adhesive[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:09 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
Quote:
I bought an assortment pack of gasket material at my local parts place a while back. The right sheet of cork material should work great. Cork is an organic material and as far as I know is not bothered by ethanol. I might also use a gas proof sealant to glue the cork to the cap. Something like Seal All, which has actually plugged a wet fuel leak for me as a temp fix.
http://www.epiindustrial.com/Seal-All%C ... t_Adhesive[/url]
About to go get my new gas cap and called to make sure they have cork gaskets too. I'm not even going to try the rubber one in it and go ahead and try the cork. I'll let everyone know how it works in a month or two.

Thanks for the idea,
Danny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:17 pm 
Turbo EFI

Car Model:
The ethanol eats many things. When I was hauling fuel it would fog. crack and make our sight glasses. We had a green flat O ring for the delivery hoses. Silicone based AFAIK. I have a couple of 4" ones. Probably too big.

'72 Duster 198 stock cam, 3:23's Hookers on jack stands for 8 years in the driveway
'79 Maxivan 360 Offy Qjet Comp RV cam/rusting in the driveway.
93 D350 160HP Cummins Auto :-( Dually Clubcab needs a injector pump
2005 Golden Couch Buick