Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:18 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:17 pm 
Board Sponsor & Moderator

Car Model:
Congrats, Derek. Great result for the first time out. Tuning should get you some solid gains too...

Hard to beat driving a fast Slant around town...

Enjoy,

Lou

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:12 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Good day, Greg you are right of course. That was at the 330 and it was 9.59 at the 660' my bad I was excited with the results and typing too fast.
If I can get it figured out I'll send the time slip and a couple of vids.
I have a lot to learn and many things to improve but I felt like we are starting with a good baseline.
I wasn't quite ready for the first race, then our track was rained out on two events and my master cylinder gave up on the way there at their last race so they decided to try a late weekend. We only run 4 events a season, there are other tracks but much longer travel, I was glad to get a try this late in the year.
Thanks Derek

70 Duster 238'', four speed ,3:91's, 500 Elde, Hookers
68 Dart 4 dr 225, completely original

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:26 pm 
Supercharged

Car Model:
That is a respectable 1/8th mile time.

I know that I started out with 11.XX with the dart and eventually got it down to 9.44's for 1/8 Mile times.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:11 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-G2trf ... e=youtu.be

The video is fussy on You tube, it seems to be a little better on my facebook.
Appreciate any and all comments. I need practice on the lights for sure, the first run was a bye and as soon as the lower stage bulb is lit the tree starts. So in this run I was trying to keep the rpms up since I wasn't sure if I could get them up high enough for a launch. The other car was slow getting staged. I now realize that there is enough time with the 3 amber's to get the rpm's up.
I have plenty to learn and many tweaks to work at.

Thanks Derek

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:13 am 
Turbo Slant 6

Car Model:
I have a stick car and used to lose many races on the starting line due to various staging problems. Eventually I adopted a procedure using the line loc and a 2 step rev limiter that seems to work very well. After the first staging bulb is lit I tap the brakes gently and engage the line loc then I nose the car into the second light, (if you have drum brakes on front you can't set the brake too hard or it can snap back and turn out the light). I have the two step wired into the line loc and another switch so that when the staging switch is on and the line loc is on the low step on the rev limiter will be activated. Set the low step at the RPM you want to stage at and you can stage the car to leave consistently without having to take your eyes off the tree. Some tracks don't allow the two step in the no-box bracket but most don't seem to care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:35 am 
TBI Slant 6

Car Model:
Yes Lou, it is fun driving a fast street car. I wish I didn't live so far away to participate in any slant races. I have been out to the Spring Fling in Van Nuys and I was drooling over the slant cars. There is only Terry Littlejohn that I know of and he is a days travel, some by ferry.
Thanks for the input Exner, I just wired the ignition when I first got it going. I am going to wire it as you have explained. I see a couple of stick cars with a constant rpm at the launch, I'm sure that is what they are using as well.

I am working on a whole layout of the build as per Olaf's suggestion, I am organizing the photos ad writing the text. I learned a lot from this resource and I want to try and help others, we have a long winters here.
I have taken tons of pictures and if posting them in the respective categories can help then I'm in.
If anyone has suggestions or comments I'm all ears.
Thanks Derek