Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 8:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1379 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 … 88 89 90 91 92
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2026 5:26 pm 
Offline
Supercharged
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 10396
Location: IRWIN PA
Car Model:
I am at test n tune again tonite.

Trying some small changes. Did not pick up any time going to 28⁰ from 30⁰ so I will go back to 30⁰ timing.
Car still is missing something. Likley horsepower on the top end. Maybe it's the converter but i am not trying another one of those currently. I will leave the cam and Edge converter in it for Clay City.

Unfortunately I do not have the time or energy to swap back to the the other (2009-2025) camshaft right now.
I may go back to a set of 28 x10 rear slick tires from 29x11's which is what it has mounted now. I also can toss the 4.88's in there too and see if that may make any difference.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/hyperpack
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2026 8:44 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:27 pm
Posts: 14942
Location: Park Forest, Illinoisy
Car Model: 78 Volare
Good luck Greg! Ain't race cars fun? :oops:

_________________
Official Cookie and Mater Tormentor.


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2026 9:14 am 
Offline
Supercharged
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 10396
Location: IRWIN PA
Car Model:
Well, at least I know how to make it faster than what it is now!

It might just not happen for this year.

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/hyperpack
Image


Top
   
 Post subject: 9/5/26
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2026 4:11 pm 
Offline
Supercharged
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 10396
Location: IRWIN PA
Car Model:
9/5/26:

Lots of storms and damage here over the last 2.5 days. Never lost power at the shop, but power came on again here at the house today, then a transformer fire across the street from the neighbors provided a pole top hiway emenrgnecy flare for a few minutes. Nice non 4th of July fireworks show.

I am going back to 28" x 10" x 15" rear slicks to see if there are any gains to be had. I know that I likley need to take this cam out and swap back to what I had or work on another grind altogether as this one is ~.0.5 - 0.75 Seconds Slower than what I was working with before.


Some tire Comparisons:

29 x 11 Slicks Installed:
Image

28 X 10 Slicks Installed:
Image

I never weighed the 29" slicks when they were new.
When they came off, one tire was 24#, the other one was 25#
Image
Image

The new Hoosier 28 x 10's were also 24# each before mounting them.
Image

Greg

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/hyperpack
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2026 9:10 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:08 am
Posts: 17619
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Car Model:
Good progress, Greg. I am getting new 26X8.5-15 radial slicks mounted today for the 62 Valiant for Clay City.

I am mystified by the cam grind performance. I have to wonder if something went wrong with the cam grinding or?? Look forward to chatting at CC.

Lou

_________________
Home of Slant6-powered fun machines since 1988


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2026 9:40 am 
Offline
Supercharged
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 10396
Location: IRWIN PA
Car Model:
Quote:
I am mystified by the cam grind performance. I have to wonder if something went wrong with the cam grinding or?? Look forward to chatting at CC.

Lou
Yes. I look forward to it.

I have some ideas on the cam #'s

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/hyperpack
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2026 7:27 pm 
Offline
Supercharged
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 10396
Location: IRWIN PA
Car Model:
Here is some outside video of the car from 8/28 with the "slow cam"

https://youtu.be/VdoIUrVhD6M?t=101&is=VOV26i0W2140EgGk


Greg

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/hyperpack
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2026 2:47 pm 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:27 pm
Posts: 14942
Location: Park Forest, Illinoisy
Car Model: 78 Volare
Sweet!

_________________
Official Cookie and Mater Tormentor.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2026 1:24 pm 
Offline
Supercharged
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 10396
Location: IRWIN PA
Car Model:
9-22-26:
I made the tow to the Seymour Pederson Memorial Race and spent time with old friends, new friends, and Slant 6 Racing Legends and HoF Members. Ruster was doing well, albeit not fast, with the "slow cam" as I call it .
The Track Media Team did an exquisite job capturing my car for some reason. I made a total of 8 passes for the entire weekend.

One on Friday before the rain, and then the rest on Saturday.
Here is the Rundown:

Pass #1 - 1/4 Mile: -0.010 Reaction / 7.808 @ 85.567/ 12.492 @ 102.023

Pass #2 - 1/4 Mile: 0.036 Reaction / 7.886 @ 85.115 / 12.600 @ 101.399

Pass #3 - 1/4 Mile -0.034 Reaction / 7.795 @ 85.909 / 12.470 @ 101.921

Pass #4 - 1/4 Mile: 0.005 Reaction / 8.784 @ 80.932 / 13.632 @ 99.737 (shifter broke in water box) (could not figure out how to shift quickly enough to save the run against Slantzilla). The Dumb Shifter breakage put me out of the Race ( I had cut Dennis down on the tree pretty well with that 0.005 Green bulb)

Pass # 5 - 1/8 Mile 0.049 Reaction / 7.915 on a 7.78 Dial @ 80.704 W

Pass #6 - 1/8 Mile 0.032 Reaction / 7.774 on a 7.78 Dial @ 85.924 W
(Video of this run Below Courtesy of the Track Media Team)
ImageRuster Runs 7.774 on 7.78 Dial

Pass # 7 No time data - My Front Air dam garbage was bent and hanging low - This caused the Tree to give me a -0.797 Red Bulb.
Jeff Kendall in not2slow #43 Won that round and broke his block, transmission and camshaft in the process.

Pass #8 - For Fun against Rick Covalt (the winner of the Seymour Pederson Memorial Race!)
1/8 Mile 0.038 Reaction 7.745 on a 7.76 Dial @ 86.103 (rick's car picked up 0.2 somehow and he was close to his personal best!

Fun times

Pictures below from the clay city track media folks:
My Favorite: night burnout
Image

Ruster Eats Greg - :shock: Oh No!
Image

Night lite:
Image

Ruster & Mike in the Staging Lanes:
Image

Image

Image

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/hyperpack
Image


Last edited by Greg Ondayko on Wed Sep 23, 2026 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2026 1:45 pm 
Offline
Triple Duece Weber
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:05 pm
Posts: 2717
Location: Desoto Texas
Car Model: 1972 Dodge Colt
Greg, your car sounded great, even if it might not have been as fast as you wanted.
I learned something from watching you run.
I really need to get my behind the wheel program tuned up.
I am doing too much thinking and it needs to become a steady process without having to think about it.
It was great seeing you and getting to talk about stuff.
If I haven't moved to AZ by next year, let's do it again, maybe a little west!

_________________
Hyper_pak


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 5:46 am 
Offline
Supercharged
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 10396
Location: IRWIN PA
Car Model:
Quote:
Greg, your car sounded great, even if it might not have been as fast as you wanted.
I learned something from watching you run.
I really need to get my behind the wheel program tuned up.
I am doing too much thinking and it needs to become a steady process without having to think about it.
It was great seeing you and getting to talk about stuff.
If I haven't moved to AZ by next year, let's do it again, maybe a little west!

Thanks Stan It was good seeing you, and chatting!
I would have liked to ogle your car more, but I was too busy .... well... racing. I have no support team, so I am on my own data entry specialist, cooling fan setter upper, battery charger hooker upper, fuel filler, and tire pressure checker. No rest for the weary.

I did get some video of at least one of your runs and that is my next task - edit some of that together and post it.

I am glad you learned something. I thought I was taking a few days off work, but maybe not. Happy to chat and answer any questions you may have.
Yes it is like playing an instrument, as you want to have the muscle memory and anticipate the situation through rehearsal. That is why TNT and Qualifying and possibly double entering an event are so important to get your pace / rhythm / routine as consistent as possible.

Cheers!

Greg

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/hyperpack
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2026 10:46 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:27 pm
Posts: 14942
Location: Park Forest, Illinoisy
Car Model: 78 Volare
Yeah, .005 against me and dead late for everyone else. I was only .021 launching off the footbrake when my transbrake didn't hold. :mrgreen:

_________________
Official Cookie and Mater Tormentor.


Top
   
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2026 10:44 am 
Offline
Supercharged
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:03 pm
Posts: 10396
Location: IRWIN PA
Car Model:
Quote:
Yeah, .005 against me and dead late for everyone else.
Gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em, as the song goes!

_________________
http://www.youtube.com/hyperpack
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 7:24 am 
Offline
Board Sponsor & Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 7:27 pm
Posts: 14942
Location: Park Forest, Illinoisy
Car Model: 78 Volare
:lol:

_________________
Official Cookie and Mater Tormentor.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1379 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 … 88 89 90 91 92

All times are UTC-07:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited