Slant *        6        Forum
Home Home Home
The Place to Go for Slant Six Info!
Click here to help support the Slant Six Forum!
It is currently Sun Oct 06, 2024 9:26 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:49 pm 
Board Sponsor

Car Model:
Quote:
That yellow surely looks nice on the engine. I like it better than the pale MP yellow.

What'd you do with the engine's tinware (timing cover, rocker cover, etc.)? Cadmium plate, or??? I see it's not painted.
Thanks Dan. :)

Actually all the tin is painted. ;) I had a friend bead-blast all the pieces, and I 'rattle-canned' everything. Started with a self-etching primer, and finished it with "Hi-Tec" aluminum color paint from NAPA. Avoid this brand (or at least the color) as it has no chemical resistance whatsoever. A drop of oil, a spot of brakeclean, etc wipes the paint off right down to the primer. The "NAPA Ruf-Nek Farm & Implement" Caterpillar yellow holds up nicely. I can just wipe everything up from the block & head with a dry rag.

Installed Picture

The headers are hi-temp powder coated, and it turned out very close to the tin-color. When I have the time, all the tin is coming back off, and I am going to have it all powder coated as well. Will hold up better, look better, and be nearly bullet proof. I have some other projects (like an A500) to do first though. :D

-S/6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:24 pm 
Board Sponsor & Contributor

Car Model:
Yeah, "chrome/aluminum" paint is good for some things (most notably restoring reflectors on tail/brake, park/turn and backup light housings), but it is by nature not resistant to chemicals or abrasion.